Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Disabwhat?

A week or so ago, I got a letter in the mail.  It said simply this:

Your son has a disability

Actually, that's not true.  I didn't get a letter that said that- at least not in so many words.  No, it was just reminder letter for a speech therapy meeting that happened to include some information about special education and learning disabilities.  Um, excuse me, there has been a mistake.  You sent someone elses stuff to us.  I mean, our kids weren't conceived in a petri dish, but they're still perfect.  Right?
One of these guys got all of the looks, brains, and personality.  The other one is the former Governor of California
Let me just tell you that sending children's disability literature to a guy with a paranoid active imagination is a recipe for hysteria.  Factor in that I'm a chef who isn't cooking with all the ingredients, and....I'm not really sure where I'm taking this metaphor anymore. 

I know that that we aren't the first parents that have been blindsided by the idea that their childs' biology might not be 100% up to snuff.  But it's the first time something like this has happened to us.
Shane had a preschool screening back in August, and some issues came up with his hearing and with his speech.  The hearing result didn't really phase me.  The test was the standard fare- you put some ginormous headphones on and have to quickly hit a button when the machine clicks.  I'm pretty sure Shane was just screwing around with the lady- she'd hit the button and he'd just look at her and give her this sort of mischievous little grin (which could be a different set of issues altogether...starts praying for the teen years).  So the jury is out on the hearing thing.  I suppose it's possible that he has a hearing problem....(drifts off into flashbacks)

Shane, stop bothering your sister

(no response)
Shane- you NEED to come take care of your toys
(No response)

Shane, it's time for bed.  Come brush your teeth

(No response)

Shane, I have a cooki...

(NOM NOM NOM NOM)
The speech thing is a different ball game.  He's definitely got some speech issues going on.  R's, L's, any digraph involving 'H'- it's like he's on a one-man mission to slaughter the English language.  I feel bad when he's trying to tell someone his name, and he's like  "No, I'm not Sane.  I'm Sane".

And with 50% of these genes, it's no wonder he's not Sane
After a second assessment, we got a call from the speech therapy people who wanted to set up a meeting.  No big deal, I think to myself.  He'll go, we'll get hooked up with a speech therapist, he'll look at some pictures and practice contorting his tongue and in a few months PRESTO Shane will be giving monologues and performing on Broadway.  How is this a bad plan?

About a week letter, we get an envelope in the mail from the ECDD people in regards to the appointment.  But it isn't your garden variety white letter envelope- it's the Super Yellow Envelope.  You know the kind.  The kind that hold so much stuff they were used to smuggle illegal aliens across the border.  Yeah.  One of those envelopes.  This Super Yellow Envelope contained some pamphlets and booklets.  No big deal, right?  It's just some stuff about special education, learning disabilities, and Individual Education Plans (or IEPs).

Um, wait, what?  I thought my son just had a hard time saying some words.  And we were going to go in, and you were going to fix that and tell us to have a nice day.  The end.



It might not seem like it, but I'm working on not overreacting.  Really, I am..  I realize that this is probably standard protocol.  Most likely every child who receives some sort of specialized service gets this information.  Besides, we haven't actually had the meeting yet.  It wouldn't be the first time I overreacted without having all of the relevant information.

The truth is, my big concern has nothing to do with how any sort of learning disability diagnosis will impact our lives at home.  Shane is freaking awesome. 

It's more the idea of what those words mean in the scholastic context.  I understand a lot has probably changed since I was in school- but a lot hasn't changed.  Kids are like sharks, and being "different" is like wearing Chum-brand clothing.  "Different" kids get sniffed out early- then the feeding frenzy begins.
It wasn't enough to stop Bruce Campbell from being a movie star though. 
And it's not just the kids.  Teachers, parents, coaches, principals- whether people realize it or not, they often treat people according to their preconceived notion about that person.  Sometimes their analysis is concluded upon meeting someone for the first time- the infamous "first impression".  Sometimes you hear things (good and bad) about a person before meeting them and that makes up your mind.  And sometimes, you read the words "Special Education" in report and get hung up there, like an important hobbit stuck in a spider's web IN A SCENE THAT SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN THE SECOND MOVIE, NOT THE THIRD!!!!!!

At this point, I'm just trying to prepare myself for anything.  This meeting is probably not the trip to Mordor that I am building it up to be- but it's no picnic in the Shire either.  My amazingly curious, cheerful, rambunctious, funny son is going to unknowingly come face to face with the the system that will shape the course of his life for the next twelve years.  And there's a chance that he's going to start with the deck stacked against him.

I am hoping and praying that any labels- disability, special ed, etc.- don't stick.  Not only that they don't stick- but that they don't get attached in the first place.  I would love nothing more than a simple little roundtable discussion that ends up with some sort of quick fix.  I imagine most parents probably feel the same way. 

The meeting is this morning.  I know who my son is, and how wonderfully amazing he is.  How much love and life flows through him, all the time.  The joy that radiates from his soul.  I just hope that the whole world gets to see that without having to look through label-shaped lenses.

ADDENDUM: We just got home from the meeting.  Nothing major to worry about.  Basically he has some areas where he's lagging articulation-wise (which we knew), and some issues with syntax and inserting the proper pronouns and articles of speech.  Preliminary assessment is that society will believe that Shane is "normal"- and that's all you can really ask for. 

Pictures that weren't mine-
Twins: http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/twins-Schwarzenegger-DeVito.jpg
Jaws 5- http://jawsmovie.com/wp-content/gallery/jaws5/jaws5campbell.jpg

No comments: