Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Proud Papa

In case you missed this, I played fantasy hockey this season, for the first time. I finished second in the league, losing in the championship game. It doesn't really matter that I would have lost badly to my buddy Matt in any of the playoff games, and thus (in his mind) had the third-best team. It's the playoffs, and all that matters is how you progress through your part of the bracket. Take care of business, and move on.

At the beginning of the NHL playoffs, a group of us that love hockey and played in the Black Storm hockey fantasy league were talking about how there would be moments of pride throughout the playoffs as you saw guys on your fantasy team making significant contributions for their real-life teams. I want to take a moment and sing the praises of my fantasy child- Jaroslav Halak.


I'd love to say that Halak was a biological child (that is, that I drafted him), but he wasn't. I didn't bring him into the family until late in the season- in fact, he was my last pick-up, on February 1st, just a couple weeks before the Olympics. At the time, I was just trying to find a decent third goalie. Kind of like adopting a child to have someone to help out with the chores- you aren't really expecting too much, and if they do some dishes and mow the lawn and keep their nose clean, then you're happy.

But then you look at your adopted child one day, and you realize that he's not merely useful, but he's actually fun to be around. All he's wanted was for you to know that he was on your team, and probably actually worthy of being a second or even a first string son.

Halak has been simply clutch throughout these playoffs. While I can't take full credit for his success- like a parent who needs to make sure their kids play with other good kids, Halak has needed timely efforts from his friends who play defense, the fact is that a hot goalie can steal a playoff series. And Halak is a hot goalie right now.

I apologize right now if I start getting emotional. After all, this guy was on my fantasy team, and I just need everyone to know that.

Trailing 3-1 in the first round against the top seed (and heavily favored) Washington Capitals, Halak stoned the Caps for three straight huge wins- facing 132 shots and turning away 129 of them. Most importantly, he came up huge in a game 7 win IN Washington to help Les Habitants to advance to the 2nd round, where they faced off against God Crosby and the rest of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

'Listen, I know Russia doesn't have very many golf courses- but neither does Pittsburgh. And I'd love to come over and watch Jaroslav Halak march through the rest of the playoffs. I just have to ask my owner/dad if it's okay.'
'You are such baby'.

Let me pause here to remind you that I'm not a big fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins. It's not just because they beat the Red Wings last season in the Stanley Cup finals (although I'm willing to concede that there is at least some subconscious hostility because of that). I'm just don't like how our society anoints certain players as deities, especially in team sports. I understand that in the information age that there is a need for sensationalism in order to try and stand out from the crowd- but then everybody has to amp it up in order to stand out and before you know it, we're participating in daily worship services for LeBron James and Alex Rodriguez (and Sidney Crosby).

So it takes on special meaning when a rag tag group of underdogs, led by (sniff) my fantasy goalie, take on the rich snobby kids from up the way and send them packing. So long rich snobby kids-have fun watching us on television while we get to keep playing! And look- that's my (fantasy) son in goal!

Anyways, I'm really pumped right now because my boy Halak just won the new biggest game of his life, defeating the Penguins 5-2 in game 7 (on the road, again) to send the Penguins to the golf course for a few months. I'm so proud of him right now, that I would probably draft him first overall in a fantasy draft. Regardless, he has a spot on the Arabian Arabian Knights as long as he wants to (or as long as someone else doesn't pull a douche bag move and pick him before I do).

GO HABS!

PIC- Halak- http://tenderslounge.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/jaroslav_halak.jpg
Crosby/Ovechkin- http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/nhl.playoffs.crosby.ovechkin.rivalry/images/sidney-crosby-alex-ovechkin-game-7.jpg

No comments: