Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

GOAL

I have a confession to make- I am a Bandwagon Fan. And you know what? I have no problem with my bandwagon fan-ness. I rooted for the Lakers to win the NBA finals this year- not because of any affinity for the team, but because I didn't want to see Rasheed win another ring. I cheered for my friends beloved Blackhawks- in spite of Benedict Hossa on their roster. I got fired up in 2006 when the Tigers went to the World Series, and in 2009 while Dan LeFevour was taking his season long victory lap as the best quarterback in MAC history (I even asked for a LeFevour jersey for Christmas).

Maybe those are bad examples of being a bandwagon fan. After all, a couple of those examples were rooted in righteous vindication. One of them was more like an old flame being reignited. And I actually went to Central Michigan University for a couple years, so it's not really being a bandwagon fan if you're cheering for a sort of Alma Mater...is it? Oh well. Too late to go back now.

Let's put those examples aside, and get to the real reason that I am writing this- the World Cup. For the next month, I am a US soccer fan. Bandwagon, but a fan nonetheless.

See, I watched USA vs. Algeria yesterday-the first game that I've watched. I read about their game versus England, and read the headline about Slovenia. Shoot, I still haven't even seen the replay of the disallowed goal in that game. Before yesterday, I couldn't have even named another US soccer player outside of Landon Donovan...and the only reason I knew him was because I used to own a soccer game from 2003 that he was on the cover of.

Yet here I was yesterday morning, watching the game before work, cheering for my country, feeling genuinely concerned that they were in danger of being sent home from the tournament after group play. Never mind the fact that I didn't know this before yesterday. Forget the fact that I didn't know that the USA hadn't won their group since 1930. I was a USA soccer fan yesterday, and have the Facebook status updates to prove it. And now I'm blogging about it. So obviously you cannot question my pedigree. I bleed Red White and Blue through and through!

Also, I found out something about myself in that hour and a half of tense excitement- soccer is actually a pretty cool game. Some people knock it because there isn't much scoring. But there is a lot to like about soccer. I may never get to the point where I kill a player for making a mistake in a big game- but I can see myself becoming a legitimate soccer fan.

For instance, there is so much passion and tradition in this game. I know ordinarily that making a decision based on the opinions of the masses is not smart, but I feel like there is a reason that soccer is the most popular sport in the world. From the way that the fans deck themselves out in patriotic garb to the way in which they celebrate and agonize- it feels like you're watching more than a sporting event, you are partaking in the history and soul of entire nations.

Now I'm not thinking about all of the professional leagues, admittedly. It's a little overwhelming to think about all of that. I remember that 2003 soccer game, and it felt like there were literally thousands of teams to choose from. That's just too much choice for me. International soccer though? That's something else.

I love international competition. Hundreds of athletes from different cultures, different religions, different languages- connected in those moments by mere games. The imagery is so powerful. Why can't life be like sports? We can compete with other people and then walk away and be ourselves. I don't think the idea of a kumbaya-hold-hands-singing world peace is very realistic (or even desireable), but at the same time I don't think that lots of bombing and shooting is necessary either.

But I didn't want to go there. I definitely did not start this post with the idea of getting into weighty items. I just wanted you to know what I am absolutely 100% proud of my status as a bandwagon fan. Maybe one day I will be an actual soccer fan. And that day will probably come in four years, when the next World Cup is. Until then though, viva la Bandwagon Fan!!!

No comments: