Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Shame on Suh

As Thanksgiving day 2011 comes to a close, I just thought of something else I'm thankful for.  I'm thankful for having a Detroit Lions team that does not disgrace the game so badly that the TV talking heads are forced to opine the merits of taking away the one Lions tradition that does not involve poor drafting or poor play.  If there's one thing I hate worse than always having a bad team, it's watching pre-game shows where everybody tells me how bad my team is.  Hey, thanks Dan Marino- but I already knew that Matt Millen flushed the whole freaking franchise down the toilet.

In case you didn't watch the Packers-Lions turkey day tilt this afternoon (and if you're reading this blog, there is really no reason why you shouldn't have), then you missed the time when Ndamukong Suh morphed into the WWF version of the Incredible Hulk. 

Much has been made this season about the Detroit Lions being a dirty team and Suh being named the dirtiest player in the league (in a recent poll done by the Sporting News.  I guess).  For the most part, I don't have a huge problem with, as Brian Urlacher put it, the Lions playing to 'the echo of the whistle'.  This is about changing a losing culture, and if they have to go a little too far the other way- well, that's fine.  People just need to know that they can't mess with the Detroit Lions. 

In that regard, I love what Suh brings to the table.  He is a physical freak- with python-like arms, a non-stop motor, and running back athleticism.  He has an impossible to pronounce/spell first name mixed with a phonetically pleasing last name which helps him to appeal to...well, whatever demographic that sort of thing appeals to.  His arrival in Detroit has coincided with the Renaissance that has been Detroit football the last couple years.  It's like a breath of fresh air, which is no trivial thing when you're living in a cesspool like Detroit.

Of course, you have to take the bad with the good, and in this case, our dominant defensive lineman/philanthropist is also apparently a delusional homicidal maniac.  During the past two seasons, he has almost ripped the heads off of two QBs.  He also did a pretty fair 'Hulk Smash' impression on Jay Cutler's back last year.  The worst part of this is that he doesn't seem to realize this- or he does realize and just doesn't care.

Today's incident seriously upped the rhetoric from the 'Suh/dirty player' camps, and as much as it pains me to say this- the pundits just might be right about this one.  I think what puts elevates this incident over the others in terms of 'Okay, maybe Suh is a little bit of an angry douche-bag' was when he unsuccessfully tried to tell the world that he was the victim here. 

Before watching Suh wade through probably the worst apology/defense since Tiger Woods tried to tell us his golf clubs had attacked him, his shenanigans reminded me of the Bad Boys.  Sure, they played rough, and they may or may not have broken some rules (as well as basic laws of human decency), but they were our team and it actually made us feel closer to them.  People were backing us into the same corner, and as long as that corner wasn't anywhere near Bill Laimbeer, we were just fine to bunkerize ourselves with them. 

It's been the same thing for Donkey-Kong Suh.  With each incident, each act of competitive violence, it was just justified in the context of being a 'competitor'.  Yeah he tried to rip his head off- but it's Jake Delhomme.  He'd have done the Browns a favor!  And so what that he tried to forearm shiver Jay Cutler into a greasy paste?  He was just trying to make a play!  Besides, sometimes I just think your hands end up really close to someones head in football and you just have to violently tear them away.  Completely natural. 

But today was somehow different.  And I really think the difference lies in the level of self-deceit apparent in the post game comments about the incident.

Understand that football can be a violent game and with all that adrenaline and testosterone and pressure, it makes sense that dudes would get pissed off once in awhile.  I'm not begrudging Suh that.  Sure, his stunt gave the Packers a first down inside the 5 after we had just stopped them on a third-and-goal, which was exactly what our team needed after the Packers apparently performed some sort of ritual exorcism at halftime and rid them of the first half sucktitude.  The fact that he got ejected was just icing on the 'We're screwed' cake.  Okay, so maybe I'm a little bit begrudging.

But if he just would have came out afterwards and been like 'Man, I don't know what happened- I was just really really hungry and I didn't think I could wait until after the game, and I just kept thinking about turkey, and I was pissed that I couldn't eat until after the game and- well, I let my hunger get the best of me and I behaved in a way that was detrimental to my team, the fans, and this great organization.  I'm sorry, and I'll accept whatever punishment that comes my way'.  I would have accepted that.  Lots of dudes get angry and do stupid stuff.  Especially when turkey is involved.

That's not what he did though.  He came out and basically blamed the refs for throwing him out for just trying to get up.  He appealed to his 'true fans' and God (I'm assuming God.  He said 'the man upstairs'.  Which, given his apparent assessment of reality, could be some guy that he actually thinks lives 'upstairs') and basically accused anyone who tries to spin this into the 'Suh=dirtiest NFL player' narrative of being some sort of self-serving jerk-nalist.   He tried to justify the kicking action by saying he was 'trying to gain his balance'.
HULK...TRYING TO...MAINTAIN....EQUILIBRIUM...
Some of the TV talking heads were talking about the possibility of a suspension and I have to say I agree with them on this.  I'm sorry, he can create a persecution-free layer of protection in his mind, but it's pretty plain to see that there was some malicious intent there.  At the very least, suspend him for a game and send him to some ballet classes where they can help him with his balance so that he doesn't accidentally kill someone next time he falls down.

And seriously, I think a suspension would do him good, if for no other reason than to hopefully get him to acknowledge that 'Hey, I can still be a tough guy who stretches the rules just as long as I don't obviously break them'.  We were joking about Suh before the game, and the ripping off of other players heads (figuratively speaking) and in that moment I sort of pictured that very thing literally happening- and it didn't surprise me at all.  And it makes sense.  Suh is not the first guy with that kind of strength and that built up passive rage (while seeming to lack the ability to comprehend his actions from a second-person perspective) that we've come across...
HULK SHOW YOU ROUGHING PASSER!!!!!
Please, Ndamukong- get some self control before you really hurt someone and throw a potentially Hall-of-Fame career down the toilet. 

PIC-
Hulk 1- http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/4835814723_cce53fd3c3.jpg
Hulk 2- http://www.riverglassdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/hulk-smash1.jpg

No comments: