Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

New (old?) blogs preview (postview? I'm so confused)

Almost two weeks ago, I wrote about my plans for my blog. If you didn't read it, let me recap: I realized that I was trying to spread myself too thin, and that my lack of focus was hurting my ability to really take this blog anywhere. The end. I realize that I hyperlinked to that blog and that you could read for yourself what I said, but I like to think of myself as a nice guy, so I decided to give you the synopsis. But since I'm also a narcissist, I decided to hyperlink it as well. Gets my page view count up.

Of course, plans change. After I wrote that blog, I had a friend recommend tumblr to me as an excellent writing community and means to procure a new audience and helpful critical feedback. I decided to give it a go, and what was once one blog has now been reborn as a three headed monster. I realize that it seems silly. And it is. So then, let's review my blog roster!

If you're reading this, you're at my home base blog. It has been, and will be, the blog of choice for anyone who is concerned with keeping up a trendy image. That might be a lie. The restructuring will give this blog more of a social science/humanities focus. Anything from overpopulation to religion to sociology to gender roles- you name it. Actually, don't name it. I have a limited arsenal and a diminishing vocabulary. Allow me to dictate this blog on my terms.

This is my old new blog that is on tumblr. It's called 'Backwards Pants'. It's been in existence for about five days. Backwards Pants exists primarily to expand my audience/readership base. Everything (at least, that's the plan right now) I post on here will be posted on there. However, I will have some new stuff on tumbr as well, including my long-awaited return to the poetry sector. Tumblr will serve as my potpourri outlet- if I get the urge to write about Megamind, I'll do it there. Should I garner up the courage to revisit my Super Bowl MVP reassessment, those football players will be wearing Backwards Pants.

This is my new new blog (and the reason why I'm making a second housekeeping post in a weeks time). It's pure unadulterated silliness, and is based on my long-standing love of sketch comedy. The basic premise is that Darth Vader has been stationed on Earth, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He lives in a fictional residence- 411 Sojourn Boulevard. To save on expenses and household maintenance, he decides to take on a couple of roommates. His roommates? Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen and Ezio Auditore from the Assassins Creed.

To me, the idea of these three drastically different (and completely made-up) universes coming together and interacting in a fourth completely different (but actual) universe- is hilarious and should be tons of fun to try and spin. I think it will stretch me as a writer as well- trying to write character-specific parts and using things like dialogue are not a normal part of my repertoire. To speak plainly- I am stoked out of my mind about this project.

I'm still doing 'research' for this blog, and plot lines are still being hatched. By 'research', I mean reading comics and playing video games. So even if the blog fails- it's definitely winning. I'm hoping to have a post up in a few days. No promises about frequency thereafter- I want to make sure that I have a good hold on the individual characters before I plunge in, and I don't want to sacrifice my award-winning philanthropist insights.

Okay, I'm done with my glorified office memos for awhile. I will soon resume my regularly scheduled dissemination of unique insights, humor, and factoids that will illuminate your brains and make you live happily ever after.

No comments: