Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Monday, June 1, 2009

The heart of a champion

I'm just going to be honest and say that this post has potential to go many different places. I want to focus on the Stanley Cup finals, but I'll probably get around to talking about LeBron James also. Grrrrrrr....

First of all, let me preface this by stating that I have probably watched more playoff hockey this year than I can remember (which isn't saying much because A-I haven't watched that much and B-I have a bad memory). I've always been content to just kind of follow along passively. It's not because I'm not a huge Red Wings fan- I am. I just have a hard time sitting through the agonizing moments of sporting events that I am involved in. Objectively? I love watching sports. It's when the subjective aspect is involved that I really struggle.

Watching this year, I've had a chance to see the Detroit Red Wings in all their glory. Everything about them that makes them great- 4 lines, gritty play, timely goaltending. But the fact that their lesser known players have stepped up when the big names (Datsyuk and Lidstrom) have gone down has been particularly joyful to me. It's kind of a vindication of the Red Wing Way. I said to my friend Matt last night that a Wings Cup win this year would be the crown jewel, the epitome of that way. He said he felt like I say that every year. I thought about this, and deemed it Not So...

1997- I was just happy to win the cup and break the drought
1998- We needed to win that one for Vladdy
2002- Basically we bought the Stanley Cup
2008- Probably the closest that Matt could come to making the argument that I say the same thing every year, but last year was more about coming back from a disappointing loss to the Anaheim (previously mighty) Ducks the year before in the conference finals.

I admit that I kind of bought into the hype before the series- '2 games in 2 nights? What will we do?', 'Crosby-Malkin 28 points each in the playoffs, what will we do?', 'Marian Hossa is a traitor, what will we do?'. I actually said that I would be happy if we just took one of the first three games, giving us some time to rest and position ourselves for a push at the end of the series.

I'm sorry Red Wings. I sorely underestimated your heart and your determination. I am ashamed to admit that I doubted their resolve, their ability to overcome adversity. And that reason (their resolve, not my shame) is why they are the defending Cup champs- they have the heart of a champion.

I'm not a hockey 'expert' (of course, most of the people on both sides of the fence who spout their mouths off on message boards aren't either), but there are a few things that I know:

1) No fan on either side can objectively comment on this series. We're too invested in it emotionally, especially after the same two teams met last season. So just stop it!
2) The Penguins have played very well overall, and are a couple bounces here or there away from the series being 1-1 or even 2-0 Penguins. By no means is this over yet. However...
3) The Red Wings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year.

Now, that third item may just be juvenile posturing on my part, and maybe I'm trying to overcome some sort of insecurity by feigning bravado. I think that the Penguins have the guys to be a major player for a long time in this league. But they will not win this year.

Here's the deal- we all thought going into the finals that the Penguins had learned their lessons. We thought that the back-to-back game nights would be a serious hindrance to the older, ailing Wings team. We thought that Crosby-Malkin were unstoppable. But we forgot that the champion Red Wings have repeatedly demonstrated their willingness to pay whatever price is needed in order to achieve victory.

I do think that the Penguins have learned some lessons, and if they learn to apply those every playoff night then they will be great. They were down 2-0 against the Capitals. Okay, so Pens fans are rallying all over that one.

But it's the WASHINGTON CAPITALS. In the SECOND ROUND. If that is your body of work to describe how you are able to pull this one out, because of confidence obtained in the second round of the playoffs against the Washington Capitals...well, then you need to be taught more lessons. The Red Wings remind of Edmund Dantez in 'Count of Monte' Cristo', when he's talking to the trader-smuggler buddy after they ported in his old home town. 'In life we're all either kings or pawns'- My point is that Dantez had a very large body of work from which to draw his life experiences. It's not enough to say it- you have to be willing to pay that price. I don't really see that from the Pens squad.

I think back to the '97 playoffs, when everyone was going goo-goo for Eric Lindros. There was this big brouhaha about how Mario Lemeiux and Mark Messier had passed the torch to Lindros, and that the Red Wings were just the next obstacle in his path to greatness. We all remember how that turned out, right? My point is that I feel like there has been this same sort of thing happening with Sidney Crosby and Icantspellhisfirstnamefrommemory Malkin- it's like everyone is so quick to jump on this torch passing bandwagon...I believe that they will learn how to take the next step and be able to hoist the Stanley Cup...but don't just anoint them.

And that brings me to LeBron James.


Ahh, I was wondering when I'd get around to LeBron. See, I have a lot of problems with LeBron James, and his behavior after the Cavs were eliminated the other night confirms those. Here is a James quote (taken after he went AWOL after the game instead of manning up and accepting defeat. Way to make your teammates take the fall buddy):

'It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand'

Really? I'm sorry, but that is a pretty lame excuse. I can think of numerous other 'competitors' who are able to swallow their pride and admit defeat. That's what makes them men, that's what enables them to take the next step towards greatness. Shoot, in hockey, you have to line up and shake hands with every single opposing 'competitor'. Just one of the reasons I enjoy watching hockey rather than basketball.

I guess the root of my issue with LeBron is pride. LeBron James spends the whole season puffing up his 'image' (the Talcum powder throws, the angry scowl when he makes a great play)- so when things don't go his way, he pouts and sulks. It's not all his problem- how many countless millions help puff up and stroke his ego, heaping praise on him, scorning his teammates and refusing to hold him accountable. LeBron James isn't going to win anything until he stops believing in his greatness and learns a little humility...maybe LeBron, instead of hitting the golf course (I don't know if he actually golfs, it's just sort of the cliche' of athlete's that end their season before the championship) should watch the Stanley Cup finals, and learn what it means to sacrifice self for the sake of the team.


LeBron Angry!!!!! LeBron no win!!!!

Pics:
LeBron- http://www.playoffbeard.com/2006/05/

No comments: