Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sending out an S.O.S. for U-M football


Okay, I have to put in a disclaimer that I didn't watch the Michigan game today. I haven't watched much Michigan football over the course of my lifetime. That's because I am a DIEHARD Michigan fan...at least I consider myself one. 'How can you be a DIEHARD fan if you don't even watch their games', you might be thinking, especially after I put the question in the blog. Well, the reason I don't watch is because I'm SO passionate about the Wolverines, that I get very angry when watching them if things go bad- like throw stuff angry. Now, I'm not talking 'give up a touchdown' to lose the lead bad. I'm talking simple stuff, like overthrowing a wide-open receiver in a meaningless game against a MAC school.




At least, the games against the MAC USED to be meaningless. Now, understand, I'm not trying to knock the MAC. I cut my college teeth at CMU, and am very proud of the progress that the MAC has made against big college programs. And if Toledo had beat any other major conference team on the road (like they did in 2000 when they beat Penn State), I would have been whooping it up for the underdog. But see, here's the thing- this wasn't just any other major conference team- this was the MICHIGAN WOLVERINES!!! And this wasn't just any other stadium- this was the BIG HOUSE!!! How do we let, in back to back years, little football peons come into OUR house and walk out as victors? Sure, we have a new coach and a completely new system (which I am actually excited about), and Toledo is historically a solid mid-major program. But I am hurting at the realization that we are not going to have a winning record this year, we are not going to a bowl game, and barring a miracle, we are not going to beat Ohio State. That last one irks me most of all- maybe it's just payback for the Cooper years- because I hate Ohio State- even my Scottish cousin, Chris, who is more like a second brother, couldn't remove the stain of my hate when he chose to attend there. Then Terrelle Pryor rubs it in my face by choosing the Buckeyes over us...okay, I'm getting off on a tangent. My point is that this college football season is already a lost cause for me- and we aren't even halfway done. At least there is the Lions...um...crap. The whole football season is shot.




Go Red Wings!
Photo taken from ESPN.com

No comments: