Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Top Five Accents

Okay, I just got back from church, and the guest speaker had a sweet New Zealand accent. My wife and I were talking about how cool it sounded, and it got me thinking about my favorite accents. Accents are cool, and also they are subjective, since repeated exposure to them tends to make them more 'normal' and less 'accentish'. But truthfully, Lower Michigan is the standard 'sound', and all the rest are the accents.

Without further adue, my top five accents:

5) Yooper- O yah, you betchah! Ever since moving up to the UP, I've loved this accent. It's amazing in it's synchopation, and it makes you feel like sitting up in a treestand and shooting at wild animals.

4) Austrailia/New Zealand- G'day, mate, let's throw another shrimp on the barbie! I might catch flak for combining these two, but I can AND just did, so booyah!

3) Russian- This is probably birthed from the mysterious 'motherland' that I knew very little 'ov' as a child, while the cold war wound down. Such a harsh sounding language, but it makes villains sound even villainier, which of course every villain needs, except John Travolta in The Punisher. No amount of Russian accent could have redeemed his evil hand jive.

2) Irish- This really could have been ranked 1-A. I love all of the accents from the British Isles, but Irish is one that really makes my heart smile. When I try to do a fake Irish accent, it usually morphs into a bastardized version of Irish/British/Scotland...a sort of Irishishlandish accent.

1) Scottish- My love of the Scotish accent was birthed in Alma, Michigan- Scotland, USA. There, me and my cousin Chris broke into these pseudo-British accents and proceeded to start making fun of the 'stupid Scots', and pledging allegiance to the queen. Except that we were using Scottish accents and making complete fools of ourselves. And thus were the Scottish cousins born.

I realize that this might be a boring blog post, so to spice it up, try reading each different section in it's appropriate accent.

No comments: