Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Weekend...which is much more like Super Bowl Two Weeks

I blogged about the Wild-card round. I wrote about the Divisional round. You read my thoughts right here about the Conference Championships. Shoot, I even spent time on the Pro Bowl. So what makes you think I wouldn't spend time on the biggest game for futbol americano?

Let's get it started in here.

-Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh
So I decided to watch a little bit of the pre-game show this year. Not the whole thing- after all, doesn't it start at like 6 in the morning? I did watch a couple hours of it at the in-laws house though, while munching delicious turkey.

And I had an epiphany. Maybe it was the MSG in the turkey, or maybe the fact that I actually sat down to watch a Super Bowl pre-game show, but I realized as I was sitting there watching it that it is probably the biggest waste of time in TV history (or so I thought...until I saw the half-time show). The red carpet "show"? LAME. Seriously, why do I want to watch a bunch of famous people coming into the game and then listen to them blabber about football? The only reason you are there is because you're rich and famous. Woopdy doo. And their "insight" was no more "insightful" than much of what I say right here- and in some cases, it was less so.

I also have mixed feelings about the whole Danica Patrick godaddy.com line of ads. Obviously she's a very attractive woman, and she needs to make money too. It just seems like such a shame that someone who, in my eyes, has done a lot to show that women can be successful, high-profile athletes in male-dominated sports (yes, for this argument I am considering race-car driving a "sport") would cater to the lowest common denominator by appearing in sexually provocative (although non-explicit) commercials. But that's just me. I'm sure millions of dudes out there would disagree- even if they are being led to a watering hole with no water in it.

Unfortunately for me, I missed the absolute best moment of the Super Bowl- the National Anthem-because we didn't get snacks and such until right before the game (BTWs- don't go to Wal-Mart right before the Super Bowl- they only have like two check-out lanes open and they are all out of the really good stuff).

Now understand that I'm not violently opposed to Christina Aguilera getting the gig to sing the Anthem. I just don't get into that type of singing as much. I enjoy a good, traditional Anthem, and the occasional acoustic rendition. I pretty much detest the pop-star diva amped up version. But that doesn't mean that I don't think that people who sing like that shouldn't get a shot at it. She's had a good career, she can sing well, she's American- sure, why not? Well, now we know why not. Because she obviously doesn't know the song.

If there is one part of the Super Bowl that should go off without a hitch, it's the National Anthem. The football game itself is prone to the mistakes that normally would occur during a football game. The half-time show is a mistake anyways. But the National Anthem? It's you and a microphone and a song that you've probably sung hundreds (if not thousands) of times. So how do you mess that up? Especially during these very politically charged times that we live in- Christina, you have to nail the Anthem! America is counting on you! The Stock Market is counting on you! The military is counting on you! Don't you dare let us down! (BTWs, it was awesome that the cameras went immediately to a group of troops that looked like they were going to do a Code Red to Aguilera as soon as she got off stage)

Going into, and for much of, the game- I really didn't have a rooting preference. I'm not much of a Packer fan or a Steeler fan, but I do appreciate the legacies that both franchises have created over their respective histories. Living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I know many Packer fans. MANY Packer fans. In fact, here's an interesting theory I came up with- I believe that all Michiganders (except the transplanted cheeseheads) are band-wagon Packer fans, and this phenomenon exists on a scale. The closer you are to Wisconsin, the less of a bandwagon fan you are. I'm just saying.

So my rooting interest was very much influenced by my situation at work tomorrow. A couple of the parents of the kids I am in charge of are very big Packer fans. I definitely did not want to go to work after a Packer loss- because that would have just killed the air of positive small talk that I have worked so hard to cultivate. But also, I would be expected to be empathetic to the plight of their beloved Pack- and as a Lions fan, I just don't have enough pain and suffering to give to anyone else's team. Plus, I think that Packer fans could use a dose of humility- and who better to give it to them than a team with a sex addict at quarterback? (Note: I have no idea what the connection is there)

I hate to be a hater- and admittedly, I wasn't 100% sold on Black-eyed Peas as a half-time performer- but oh my goodness. That was the worst half-time show I've ever seen. It's even worse than those MTV "all-star" half-time shows they used to do before the nipple slip. I mean, there was lots of cool lights (probably too many, which is why they put some of them on the costumes)- and a neat stage- and all sorts of dancers- and even a guest appearance by Usher (dude can dance). But what the heck was going on? I mean, there are four members of the Peas, correct? But only like two of them were actually doing any significant singing. What do the other guys do?

The truth is, the NFL is in a long-term rut for half-time shows. I can't even remember the last time there was a decent half-time show. I understand that they want to make the Super Bowl an event the whole family can enjoy, but all that the Black-Eyed Peas did was put on a show that had entire families saying "What the heck is this crap?". You know what I think they should do? They should make half-time like the half-time of a normal game. You know- where the talking heads sit around and talk about the actual game- the game we're all watching. It couldn't be any worse than seeing lots of shiny lights, pyrotechnics, and crappy music.

They could cut the pre-game show down by about five or six hours- the only thing that the pre-game show brings to the table that hasn't been beaten to death over the previous two weeks is the red carpet and live music- and I'm sorry, if I wanted to see the red carpet and live music I'd watch the Grammy's. Just think about it, NFL.

At the beginning of the 4th quarter, I decided to root for the Packers (sorry Josh). I did this for a couple reasons:
1) Our friend Zach came over to watch the game. He is from Wisconsin, and so by birth he is a Packers fan.
2) My dread of having to pretend to care that the Packers lost joined forces with my desire to have something to small talk about at work tomorrow.
3) The Packers were winning. Like most Packer fans from Michigan, I figured that now was as good a time as any to jump on the bandwagon.

Man, the economy must really be bad. Pretty much the only commercials were car ones and movie trailers. Even the beer companies came up lame. Speaking of lame- again, most of the commercials were duds, although there were some very clever ones. I had never heard of Car Max before, and probably never will again- but they definitely had my attention for about a minute of Super Bowl Sunday. Good work, Car Max.

I'm sorry Fox- I've never seen Glee, but I can tell you it's not a comedy. And how do I know it's not a comedy? Because I've never seen it. Do you know how to spot circular logic? It's easy- the logic is circular.

Oooh, new show on Fox. Terra Nova. Looks like Avatar, but in the past (I originally thought that they were doing a sort of Star Wars prequel to Avatar). Even has the same military dude in it. PASS.

I had a feeling that tonight was going to be a good, good night. What a great game- coming right down to the wire, and when Green Bay failed to score a touchdown on that drive- well, I got a little nervous. I mean, Big Ben has been here before, and ripped human hearts right out of their cages, right on this stage- and it was like they scripted it. Fortunately the Pack's D was able to overcome Chuck Woodson's injury (which, again, felt scripted) and stop the Steelers to "bring the Lombardi trophy home".

Greg Jennings was the first Packer on the scene to be congratulated by Pam Oliver. "To God be the glory" is the first thing he said. I knew it! I knew it! I totally knew that God intervened in this game. His fingerprints are all over it. If I were the Steelers, I'd as Commissioner Goodell to look into this. I know these are serious ramifications- but if we thought the Patriots were cheating when they engaged in Spy-gate, imagine how the world would feel if they found out that the Packers had elicited help from the Divine? Would we have to go back through all the Super Bowls? How many championships has the Lord directly affected? What should we call this- Heavens Gate? Greg- I'm just playing. To God be the glory indeed- but don't forget to thank Big Ben, who basically handed you guys 14 points.

Anyways- from beginning to end, Fantasy Football to Madden NFL Superstars (best game on Facebook, if you're my friend you should totally play it) to these playoff blog posts, it's been a great and fun season. I hope that there is season next year for me to dip my shenanigans into- and if not, I'll figure out some way to brag about my exploits in virtual football. Until next time- I love you. And I love me. Hence, the title of my blog.

No comments: