Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Monday, August 27, 2012

An awesome opportunity it would be...if only it would happen to me

Rather than tread lightly around the subject, I'm just gonna come right out with it.  Today is (supposed to be) the day that the Bill Simmons website announces who their Fantasy Football writers are going to be.  I'm honestly trying not to think about it too much, or get my hopes up, because I imagine that they got a ton of responses- and while I usually go back and forth about my abilities as a writer, I have no misgivings about my chances here.

What gives me hope is that the competition was not about being a fanciful writer or a Ron Jaworski clone.  They simply asked for a voice (10-12 voices, actually).  Hey- I have a voice!  Thus I wrote an exquisite 750-word essay, submitted it, and put myself out there.  I have just about zero delusions of grandeur, but I firmly believe that I have what it takes to be a Fantasy Football writer. 

Why do I believe this?  Simple.  After working on this project, I went back through and read some of my previous posts about Fantasy Football and I realized something- I'm ridiculous.
Just in case you didn't realize it yet.
I'm not just ridiculous...nay, I am the King of Ridiculous!  I mean, I am the guy who spends a Sunday morning scouring the box scores of Fantasy Football games from 3 years ago to determine who his all time leading scorer is.   I am the guy that wrote about franchises being Sarlacc pits and equating injured reserve with death and...and...and...well, doggone it, I should be writing for Grantland, a website that routinely tip-toes the line between the awesome and the absurd.  And what is more absurdly awesome than me writing about my Fantasy Football exploits with this sort of self-aware-ridiculousness?

(Hint:  Nothing.  The answer you're looking for is 'nothing').  

So yes, I'll be checking my e-mail (and Grantland) today like I'm Gigi.  After all of the opportunities that fell through this summer, I sure would like to think this is the pot of gold at the end of my proverbial rope.  But whether I succeed or not (and yes, you will find out either way), one thing is for certain: later this week I will be bringing you my 2012 Fantasy Football draft report!!!

PIC: http://mavenagency.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/spoiler_alert_300_w2.jpg

No comments: