Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Desparately seeking normalcy?

What does it mean to be 'normal'? We live in a society that places the calling on us to transcend the common. To be average is to fail. We have to excel and stand out in order to be noticed. So in doing this, we by default have to rise above others, right?

But is there anything wrong with being 'normal' or 'average'? I mean, we can't all stand out. We can't all go against the flow. Society as we understand it needs certain things in place in order to operate efficiently. We might laugh at the person that works at McDonalds- but if not them, then who? It'd either be someone else, or else it would cease to exist. And the Lord knows I can't live without Chicken McNuggets.

I think about this periodically when watching shows where they talk about genetically creating "perfect" humanity using the DNA of the "elite". Now, obviously these shows are slightly far-fetched and would never happen, but it's not as sexy of an idea as it might appear to be. Because all you're doing is upgrading to a higher class of normal.

See, we rely on roles in order to help us to define ourselves. In that end, we actually need criminals. We need deviants. The kids that sit in the back of the class and shoot spit-balls? Gotta have them. Because it is their actions that help us learn what is not okay to do. Also, we can live vicariously through their actions- because we all have that mischievous side that desires to act out, to do that which we know is wrong- but can't act on it, because we are good kids (Yeah, right that has to be it).

Likewise, we need the high achievers as well. There needs to be people that we aspire to be, lest we become complacent. All men may be created equal- but it cannot stay that way.

Why am I blathering on about this? Well, aside from wanting to blog about something that is not related to fantasy football, I've been struggling with this set of expectations that I have for myself, and the expectations that my achievements have placed on me.

As a recent college graduate who was very successful in school, sometimes I wrestle with the fact that I'm currently a stay-at-home dad who works part time doing an after-school program and cleaning class rooms. That doesn't mean that I don't really like what I do- far from it, actually. It's just that...there is this pressure to obtain certain objectives, pressure that doesn't come from anyone with a name or face (which makes it tougher).

In this regard, our church has actually been very helpful in re-framing the idea of greatness. See, in my mind (and the minds of many others, I'd wager), we equate greatness with the level of platform. That is, to be great, your actions must be known far and wide, under the bright lights performed for huge crowds. And that is definitely a form of greatness.

But there is another, more "mundane" form of greatness that transpires in our every day lives. It's the greatness that no one else sees. It's the greatness of preparation. Bill Simmons wrote a piece about the rivalry between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and the one thing that stands out about both quarterbacks is not their talent or their accolades- it's their willingness to be great in the little things- watching film, lifting weights, working everyday to make themselves better (even though, by our standards they have already achieved greatness). It's not so much that greatness is a destination- it's a journey.

So what does it all mean? It means that for right now- I'm okay with being normal. I don't have to stand out. There are things I can do here and now to contribute to society and my family that will be looked back upon as stepping stones into a much bigger picture. I'm reminded of a Rob Thomas song (strangely enough) from the movie Meet the Robinsons:

Our lives are made in these small hours These little wonders, these twists & turns of fate Time falls away, but these small hours, these small hours still remain

May we all learn to find our greatness in the small hours of life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

J I have no idea how you knew exactly where my brain was at. Must be the Holy Spirit at work... I was just thinking about how everybody must be disappointed with me because Im not some great scientist or something off changing the world... so thank you for putting things in perspective for me, even if (knowing my brain) i'll forget this lesson by tomorrow.

Parks said...

Well, don't forget that we used to work together, and during that time I may or may not have secretly implanted brain monitoring chips in you.

It's definitely tough sometimes to look at where we are and compare it to where others (or ourselves) think we should be...but the whole thing is a process, and even the very wisest cannot see all ends (Gandalf).