Oh look. Another blog about stuff. Wonderful.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Lord of the Heroclix!!!



Yesterday, WizKids/NECA announced that they were coming out with a couple games based on the Lord of the Rings franchise. But I only (at this point) care about the first one- you know, the one that is Heroclix compatible!!!

I'm so excited about this announcement. I mean, I was very excited when WizKids/NECA announced the Watchmen Heroclix set (which, BTWs, having the gift of future-telling I knew would begat cooler new licenses)...

because I loved the graphic novel and liked the movie...but this is Lord of the Rings. Freakin' Lord of the freakin' Rings freakin'!!!

Now, as hard as this may be to believe, not everyone agrees that this is the best thing to ever happen to humanity. Some people feel that the inclusion of Lord of the Rings into Heroclix (combined with some of the other Clix-based games that WizKids/NECA is introducing, such as Street Fighter) is going to have a negatively profound impact on the game of Heroclix, which is currently based on comic book superheroes.

I suppose I can see this- but it's a little frustrating that there is a tone of doom in gloom in their assessment. For one thing- just because the game is Heroclix compatible does not mean that the primary focus of the game is to be involved in Heroclix. I feel like the compatability factor is a latent function of the figures- that is, that they are being designed and marketed as a part of their own, independent game. The fact that they can be used as a part of Heroclix, while an awesome secondary function, is not their primary intent.

It's like Legos. Each Lego set is primarily designed to interact with other sets within any given genre. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ninjas- they have designs and certain pieces to go along with that theme. And yet, because they are Legos, you can use them with any other Lego set and have the pieces fit together. It opens up the option to create a myriad of creative and complex worlds. Options are not a bad thing.

Tying into the Lego concept is my second thought, which is that there is a contingent of people, of whom I am a part, that enjoy the crossing of universes. Games like Marvel vs. Capcom or Mortal Kombat vs. DC really appeal to us, because we have a flair for the creative. Our imaginations cannot be contained by the borders of one realms- not when there are other realms to explore. Now, I'm not saying that people that are against this sort of mixing are not creative- but they aren't very creative. Just kidding. I think.

I know that this is just the initial announcement, so there is still a lot of directions that this might go in. But for now- I'm very excited at the possibilities- Legolas and Bullseye squaring off, Aragorn grappling with Spider-man, or even Frodo trying to hide from Batman.

No comments: